The Amarnath Yatra is organised every year by the J &K Govt. during the month of sharavan ( July and August); the dates however , vary every year looking at the weather conditions and according to Purnima (Raksha Bandhan) in the month of Sharavan (Vikrama Samwat).
Yatra to Baba Amarnath Holy Cave for which one has to trek a height of about 14,500 ft is full of thrill and joy .The feeling of divine which is always beneath ones' heart , burst out and one realises ‘Moksha’ as one attends the Cave and perform the prayer before the Shivlinga . Surrounded by beautiful valleys, mountains , one will always feel His presence on the paradise of the earth, the memory of which hardly vanishes with time A journey which will rediscover the nature and its love which is always inside but one has never felt.
The climatic conditions are very uncertain . Rain or snowfall may take place at any time or place during the Yatra . It is to be particularly noted that abrupt changes in temperature might occur . Sunny weather may turn into rain / snow fall in a short time . The temperature may fall upto -5 degree C .
Situated in a narrow gorge at the farther end of the Lidder Valley, Amarnath Holy Cave stands at 3,888 mtrs. and is 363 kms. from Jammu Via Pahalgam and about 414 kms. from Jammu Via Baltal
How to reach Amarnath yatra:-
Amarnath Yatra - The nearest aerodrome is Srinagar. Srinagar is a beautiful valley having world famous sights to see, such as Dal Lake, Nagina Lake, Shankaracharya Temple, Mughal Gardens and what not. It is the most sought after tourist place. It is also known as "Paradise on earth". Srinagar is summer capital of Jammu & Kashmir. There are daily flights to Srinagar from Delhi and Jammu. On some week days flights also pickup passengers from Chandigarh and Amritsar - Amarnath Yatra by Helicopter.
Amarnath Yatra - Jammu is the nerest Railway Station . Jammu is winter Capital of Jammu & Kashmir. Jammu is a beautiful city and is also known as "CITY OF TEMPLES". One may visit old temples such as Raghunath Temple , Mahadev Mandir and other temples . It is well connected with all stations of India.The various trains coming to Jammu
Amarnath Yatra Helicopter Booking - Jammu and Srinagar are also connected through road. Buses and Taxies are also available for this part of the journey.
1. Please ensure that you are physically and mentally fit to perform the journey as the Yatra involves trekking at an altitude of 14, 000 ft. Have yourself medically examined and certified fit for the journey and forward the medical certificate to the registering authority designated for your area of residence - Amarnath Yatra Helicopter Booking.
2. Do carry sufficient heavy woolens including sweaters, (full as well as half sleaved), drawers woolen trousers, gloves, monkey caps etc. other items to be carried include wind cheater, light rain coat, a sleeping bag or blankets or a set of bedding items water proof tent, a torch with sufficient batteries, a walking stick with proper hand grip. Ladies are advised not go on the journey in Saris, instead pants or salwar suits with drawers should be use - Amarnath Yatra Booking.
3. Do carry some eatable like biscuits, candy, milk powder, sugar, assorted dry fruits, honey and some tinned food with you. Also carry water bottle, plastic plate, tumbler, Spoons, etc.
4. Ration and firewood quota has been especially arranged for you at all stations enroute, against payment.
5. Make sure that the ponywalla, the labourer, the dandywalla is properly registered and carries a token. You can get these allotted at fixed rates by competent authority at the same camp.
6. Do ensure that ponies carrying your luggage and eatables etc. remain with you all time, if you let them ramain behind you are likely to be unnecessarily inconvenienced.
7. Do observe discipline on the trek and keep on moving slowly and steadily. Adhere to the instructions issued by the Yatra Officer from time to time. The officials of the Police, Tourism, Health, Food & Supplies and other Departments are there to help you to perform the journey comfortably.
8. Do carry sufficient money to pay your accommodation at Pehalgam and at other stations enroute to the Holy Cave and for meeting other personal requirements.
9. All medical facilities during the Yatra are free. However, do carry your personal medical kit also.
10. Carrying/use of alcohol enroute the Yatra is strictly prohibited.
1. Do not overstrain on steep gradients.
2. Do not relax at points where there are warning notices.
3. Do not break traffic discipline or try to overtake others in difficult stretches of the route.
4. Do not pay more than the prices/rates fixed for porters, ponies, dandies, rations firewood, accommodation etc. Note:-
Aged, infirm, ailing, and insufficiently clothed persons will not be permitted to proceed beyond Pehalgam. No Yatri will be allowed without a registration card.